The history of Transcendentalism.

by Alexis Moreno, Staff writer

The Natives that inhabited the north american continent during the pre-columbus era used different techniques to thrive within their civilization and diversify themselves from the surrounding cultures; Religious beliefs/behavioral tendencies set each apart. Although each group was different, an underlying similarity connected them all: Nature.

The idea that Nature was important started sooner than Ralph Waldo Emerson, however, the “religion” was  introduced by the “father of transcendentalism” in the 1820’s-1830’s.

Although nature played a big part in the transcendentalist movement, independence was the main idea. “Finding yourself” within nature is a phrase that could be used to describe the mental process a transcendentalist would go through while venturing into nature.

Emerson believed that society created the evil in people, and that to be truly freed of the evil you need to go into nature. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment,” Emerson said.

Some have taken Emerson’s scripture to heart and made their way into the wild. A man named Chris McCandless endeavored all over the united states, eventually making his way to Alaska and died there. He left everything behind, including his sister, father, and mother.
McCandless wrote a series of diaries on his way around the country, telling the stories of his adventures and the people he met; They were compiled into a book named “Into The Wild,” and a movie to follow that. His sister: Carine McCandless also wrote a book about her life with Chris gone.